Successful hospital selling organizations recognize that connecting their solution to key hospital objectives and metrics is essential in their long-term strategy.
What exactly are the areas where industry must impact for their customers?
The Affordable Care Act
Hospitals can either be positively or negatively impacted by the Affordable Care Act performance measures in the following three areas. These are related to cost effective patient care and positive patient outcomes. The objective of these programs is to transition hospitals from volume to value—fee for service to an outcomes-based payment model.
- In Value Based Purchasing, hospitals can be bonused or penalized based on their performance related to:
- Clinical care
- Patient and caregiver experience
- Efficiency and cost reduction
The program is budget neutral—the “losers” pay the “winners”.
- The Hospital Readmissions Reduction Program tracks 30-day readmissions for specific patient conditions including heart failure, heart attack, pneumonia, COPD, hips surgery and CABG.
- The Hospital Acquired Conditions Program penalizes the bottom 25% of performing hospitals by reducing a portion of their Medicare payments. measures are calculated from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), patient safety indicators (PSI) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN). Without a “present on admission” (POA) flag, hospitals are no longer paid additional costs associated with certain conditions considered to be preventable, such as catheter-associated urinary tract infection (CAUTI), patient falls or surgical site infections following certain procedures.
Hospitals and Health Systems must be extremely vigilant about their performance related to these key metrics.
Industry partners who can positively impact these measures have a very strong basis for a discussion with hospital leadership.
For more insight on how sales organizations are developing strategy related to value based purchasing, download our whitepaper by clicking here.